Monday, February 22, 2016

Baby's Breath Flower Basket

I found baby's breath in my grocery store marked down to .50 a bunch recently.     These were coming home with me, because last week I bought this basket at the thrift shop.  Price $2.00


A perfect match.



This is what it first looked like.    I decided to give it a more aged feel.


First I brushed a light coat of a vinegar/steel wool mixture to stain the wood.  If you never used this before, fill a glass jar of white vinegar and drop in a few PLAIN steel wool pads.   Let this sit for at least a week.  I would give it a shake every now and then.   


It goes on almost clear, but darkens in a few minutes.   It took about 30 min to completely dry.

My first coat was a thin layer of gray color.   I used 

Over that I dry bushed a light cream colored paint that I had from another project


I hot glued some foam blocks at the bottom of my basket to hold them  in place.   I experimented with wrapping it with burlap, but decided to keep it simple.


Gently insert those delicate baby's breath stems.   

And you have a pretty basket for about $5.00











No comments: