Monday, March 7, 2016

Wood picture frame for master bedroom

I'm still working on my master bedroom trying to lighten up my recently painted chocolate brown walls. I still need a rug, lamps and pictures, but it's slowly coming together.   Over the weekend, I bought some drapes from Ikea and a duvet cover from Pottery Barn.  The walls are pretty bare, so I need to get busy on my next little project,

This was another frame that I picked up from the thrift store.   






Using a hair dryer on low helps to soften the glue on the duct tape, so I could remove the chalkboard and excess tape.





 Once I got the sign out, I flipped it over to the other side, which was a much lighter color.  Since I was going to be using a dropcloth, I didn't want the black chalkboard color showing through the fabric,

I sprayed 2 light coats of  Heirloom White on the frame.  

Using the chalk board sign as a template, I cut out my dropcloth leaving a 1/2 inch on all sides.   Then I gently pulled it taut and hot glued all the way around.   Sorry, I have no picture of that, but I was needing both hands.

I wasn't sure yet what to put in the center of my frame.  But then I remembered I bought some assorted sizes muslin bags a few weeks ago.  One of the smaller sizes should work nicely.





I got out my rubber stamps picked this postmark image







And glued on a ribbon and cotton strip for a little interest 


Next, using fabric glue I placed the bag on the dropcloth.  I put a piece of cardboard inside the bag when I was doing this so the glue wouldn't leak through the front.



And added some silk flowers


Time for a hot cup of coffee and let everything dry.

When the sign went back in the frame, I noticed that the dropcloth made it very snug..   No other assembly was needed.  Yay!  

My walls are looking less naked these days :)





No comments: